Bills that need catching up!!!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My Spending Strike

Earlier this week I announced that I am going on a spending strike during the month of April, now its only been two days, but I have not spent a dime on anything. What is even more exciting is that one of my favorite websites, Cindy's Porch, announced a similar spending challenge "How Low Can You Go?" The saving bug must be in the air, to quote Cindy's Porch "April Savings Bring May Dollars" and I am in that kind of mentality. And go and check out the website and let me know what you think, the link is on my blog.

When I told a couple of buddies about my spending strike, they asked me, "does this mean you will not buy any food for the month of April?" What a silly question I thought, but the more I thought about it, the more the phrase needed clarification. For me the spending strike is when I do not spending any money on items, things and/or stuff that are wants and only buying lunch once a week. No spending actual with cash or credit for items that re not considered a necessity of life. I will be picking up the basic groceries for my household (bread, milk, egg and deli meats) and if we run out of toilet paper I will pick that up too! So day 2 is over, but my biggest challenge will be the weekend. I did have one dilemma, I have a Kohl's Cash in the amount of $10.00 (expires on April 8) and I also have to return an article of clothing that did not fit me well. So after much thought I have decided to buy a new handheld can opener, the one I have is literally falling apart and its hard to open cans with it. The can opener is 9.74 and with tax it will come to 10.42, I figured since I am return and item that is 21.99 I am okay with spending the extra .42. Wish me luck on my strike!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so on board with you! :) I checked out Cindy's porch too, great site, thanks for the direction. Like you, I am going to spend as little money as possible this month. I love having days where absolutely no money leaves my wallet. :) Happy Saving!

DINKS said...

awesome idea! while i JUST got out of a similar challenge for almost 2 months (i'm exhausted!), i will not be joining you ladies in this game :)

i applaud you though and wish you luck!

Emergency Fund