Bills that need catching up!!!

Friday, January 23, 2015

New Year...New Beginnings



The last time I updated (September 2014) I had just moved for a second time in my new place and then I dropped off the face of the planet for the second time in a year.  I suppose between the split between my ex-husband and boyfriend, I became very depressed and just wanted to be very much alone.   Fast forward to the present day, I feel better, freer and for the first time looking forward to a new year with a fresh start.  The last quarter of 2014, I did figure out that I was living to make everyone else happy and I was not living for me.  Well that has all changed; I am all about me and of course my now 18-year-old daughter.   

For the first time in my life, I live by myself!  I took some time to adjust to the quiet and not being busy with anyone else’s obligations.  I went from being busy 16-18 hours a day to being bored as anything in September!  The adjustment period is over and now I need to focus on my career, finances and my new home.

As for my home, I have been sleeping on a couch for the last four months, but today I will be picking up a twin bed w/frame for $40 plus a sheet set, but those are only $9.99.  My bedroom was being used as a storage place and frankly, I am tired of it.  Tired of sitting and sleeping on my new couch, I just want a bed, no matter what size!!!!  The twin bed will suffice until I can save enough money for a brand new bed later on in the year.   A nightstand is the last thing I need for my bedroom and the woman I am picking the bed up has some nightstand for sale between $10-$20 and that is right up my budgeting alley.  I am attempting to minimize my belongings and will be purging this weekend and setting up my bedroom.  Plus we are forecasted for snow and rain, so this is a good weekend for a job like this!

 My finances have been out of control; when I moved into my new home, I had to come up with $2,240.  That would have been fine but I was just spending money on going out to eat and stuff I did not need.  So I took out a payday loan and I need to pay that off ASAP.  Payday loans are only good if you plan to pay it back within a week or two.  The only payday loan that is actually responsible is 247Greenstreet; the interest rate is 20%, but if you were in a financial bind this is the only short-term loan I would recommend.  Over the weekend, I need to take a serious look at my debt. Currently I am around $16K and I would love to have that paid off in the next two years.  When I was laid off I did okay for the first six months, but after that, I lost my unemployment and all my credit cards went into collections.  The only debt that did not was my car loan and I am behind on that as of today.  So I must make a three-month financial plan, that’s right it’s a short one, baby steps is the way I am heading back to financial freedom. 

I am currently employed, but I am not a fan of my job.  I would like to find a new one, but that is a slow process so instead of complaining about the current job, I am going to put my best foot forward and do my best.  However, since I have a lot of free time, I am thinking about picking up a weekend part-time job.  This would help with my weekend boredom and I can make extra money.  I have applied for a weekend administrative assistant and if the roads are not bad on Saturday, I will apply at a banquet hall for a weekend server position.    

So for now I am rummaging through my belongings and I have made $42 selling some items and today I will make another $60 selling the rest of these items I found.  I also will be selling my Kindle Fire and a second couch that I don’t need and only is being used as a clothes bin.  I am hoping to make at least $200 off these sales.  I am hoping to find more unused items to sell; it’s like having a virtual garage sale!


Happy Weekend…Financial Slacker Chic out…

No comments:

Emergency Fund