Bills that need catching up!!!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Random Thoughts

I've noticed that a lot of blogs feature a Friday Food Waste and I simply love to read about their victory or defeat in the food waste battle.  I am a huge supporter of not wasting food and I applaud all those who do their best not to waste food.    When I make dinner, it's usually just enough to feed everyone, but if there are leftovers I eat them for lunch the next day or if it's enough for two more people to have a meal, it goes in the freezer.  I save all the ends of the veggies I chop up along with the peels and put them in the freezer to make a broth out of when there is enough.  I take bones of chicken or beef and make broth out of those.  Bananas or apples starting to turn brown or soft, make muffins or bread.  Oranges, lemons or limes not looking their best, zest the peels and but them in the freezer and then squeeze the juice into ice cube trays and freezer for a later use.  So many possibilities, just got to learn to be creative!  

This week I found a bit of roasted chicken left which I will be using as a topping for my pizza tonight.  I also noticed that the banana is turning very brown and apples starting to soften, guess what next week the kids will have some nice banana, apple, cinnamon chip muffins!

I recently watched The Food Network Special "The Big Waste" and was even more shocked on how much food is wasted everyday.  My daughter watched it with me and even she was very sadden by how much food is wasted! 

I think Friday Food Waste is a wonderful idea that makes all aware of what we are throwing out each week.  Friday Food Waste also gives us a chance to be more creative with our leftovers; you never know you may create an entire new recipe using leftovers.  So give leftovers and "lonely" veggies and fruit a chance, you creativity could surprise you and your family. 

Financial Slacker Chic out...

No comments:

Emergency Fund